Manipulation - Part I

Bee wanted to know about the image in yesterday's post and I know many of you artsy-types love process posts. So here's the process.

1. I started with a photo I took at the Pike Place Market on Mother's Day. It's kind of soft-focus and isn't a perfect shot, by any means. But the young woman was lovely, cell phone to her ear, looking wistful and transported to another world. In a perfect world, there would have been a few more tulips visible and the one hanging over her shoulder could have been a hue that didn't blend in to her sweatshirt, but shooting on the fly you take what you get without being able to fuss over the details.


So, having decided that I wanted to play with the image, I jumped in.

WARNING: Manipulating photos can suck
all your spare time into a black hole.


2. In Photoshop, I went to Filters>Stylize>Find Edges. You'll get a really washed-out looking result, with edges showing but the rest of the image pretty light in color. I was looking for something more intense and reminiscent of woodblock prints.

(By the way, this is my Idiot's Guide to Manipulating Photos in Photoshop Without Using Layers, a Skill I've Not Yet Mastered But I Have a Book.)

3. Next, I went to Image> Adjustments>Exposure. I moved the sliders so they were as follows: Exposure +0.7, Offset - 0.250, Gamma 3.50. That basically got the darkened, grainy look I was after.


4. From there, I went to Image> Adjustment>Hue/Saturation and bumped up the saturation to about+.50. That added a little bit of color intensity to work with.



5. I still wasn't happy with the results, so back to Image> Adjustments> Exposure. Because the file had been saved, the new settings were at 0 for each, rather than the settings from step 2. Therefore, I left Exposure at 0 because I didn't want it lightened, moved Offset to -0.0100 to darken it just a bit, and Gamma to 1.22 to intensify the colors.


6. Finally, I wanted to add a little of painted color in. Using the paintbrushes and a purple (R 144, G100, B149), I painted a light wash of the purple over the greyish-purple parts of her sweatshirt (at 40% opacity and 100% flow), adjusting the size of the brushes to keep the wash localized to the greyish-purple parts, while preserving the greens and pinks, etc. Next I sampled the reddish-pink on the left of the tulip hanging down by her shoulder. Using a watercolor style brush, I painted the left half or so of the tulip with that color, then darkened it a bit to paint the right section so it would have some shadow. Then I added a spring green in selected areas to highlight the foliage.


"Arrangements" copyright 2009 Meri Arnett-Kremian

And voila, you have the version posted. Now you, too, can do crazy things to your photos using Edge Finder.

In a separate post, I'll show you some other versions of the same photo, manipulated with filters from Photoshop, Microsoft Digital Image Pro (which is no longer made, so I prize my copy), and Corel Painter Essentials 4.

Comments

beth said…
oh yeah.....my time get sucked into that black hole WAY too often !!!

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes Things Aren't What They Seem

Haiku My Heart: May the Fourth Be With You