Northwest Folklife Festival (Part Two)


At the Folklife Festival
music filled the air.

In official venues,
in unofficial venues lining pedestrian walkways,
music was the star.


Celtic Bagpipe Band piper playing in late afternoon outside McCaw Hall.


I don't meditate before I play or compose,
but I see playing and composing as meditative acts.
- Steve Swallow

Adam Hurst with his five string cello playing opposite
Experience Music Project and the Science Fiction Museum

(More about Adam in a post later this week!)


Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach


Musicians in an unofficial venue near the Monorail Station.


Music was my refuge.
I could crawl into the space between the notes
and curl my back to loneliness.
- Maya Angelou

A trio entertains listeners while they dine or soak up the sun.


Music is the poetry of the air.
- Richter

Drumming near the Children's Theater.


Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
- Robert Fripp

Guitarist near the west entrance to the Seattle Center House.


I can't identify many of the talented musicians
who filled the air with music.
Some were busy playing and didn't have time to talk.
And I didn't have anything to write down names
and trying to remember who everyone was would have been
too big a challenge to cope with on a bright, sunny day.

So if you know who any of these folks are,
please leave a comment telling me which photo,
who the musicians are,
and if you have a web address for them all the better!


It seems a shame to have a post on music
without music, so here's a sample of sounds
from posts on You-Tube.







and just for good measure


Comments

Thanks for sharing the sights and sounds of Folklife...I did not make it down there this year--definitely will be there next year!!
ELK said…
i relate deeply with the quotes being a music teacher and music lover ~ many thanks for the walk through the festival with your images and sound ...happy time!
Anonymous said…
That looks like such a fun, wonderful event! Thanks for sharing those links. On Angels and Demons the movie... yes, I do think it was a far cry better than the Da Vinci Code movie. I found the Da Vinci code movie so corny, and kind of flat, too. I won't say Angels and Demons should be receiving any awards, but it was definitely fun to watch and especially on the big screen.
Anonymous said…
Oooooeeeeee! I'm listening to Adam Hurst's music right now (thanks to your link). This is the kind of music I adore!
Delwyn said…
Meri,
that was a great taste of what looks like a music feast...

Loved the accordion...

I like that saying that music is actually the space between the notes...

Happy days
Colette said…
What beautiful pictures. It's lovely to travel with you and see this festival of music (and sight- thanks to you!).

I'll check back later and see if you get an SP up.

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes Things Aren't What They Seem

Haiku My Heart: May the Fourth Be With You